We had loads of fun this week. I decided it was finally time to try dying unspun fiber. I waited until the littlest one's nap time, and got a pound of Navajo churro fleece to soaking in my big pot. I wrapped the wool together like a package with a piece of scrap yarn, hoping to make it easier to manage. It really didn't. So I got it out and put in the rack from my boiling water canner (it has handles!). That helped a lot.
The big one was in charge of the blue, I was in charge of the green, and the little one was in charge of the yellow. Each color was three packs of sugar free Kool Aid. I am very glad right now that I use only food dyes, because at one point or another both kids decided to taste the dye stock. To add to the fun and excitement, we used a nasal aspirator (I couldn't find the turkey baster) to spray the dye onto the wool.