Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Nooooooooook...

Yes, I got a Nook for Christmas.  Second hand off of Craigslist, so I could even afford the 3G version!  The reasons I wanted one were fairly simple:
  • Nooks have the eInk display.
  • I can put pdfs in it.
The beauty of the eInk display is how incredibly easy to read it is.  I mean, when you read off a computer screen, it stresses out your eyes much more rapidly than reading a printed page.  The eInk, as far as these eyes are concerned, is just like a printed page.  The downside is that eInk doesn't have a very fast refresh rate -- it takes a second for the page to actually turn after you press the page turn button.  It is however fast enough not to get in the way of normal reading.  Browsing the internet on the thing is an interesting experience, but that's not what I bought it for anyway.

And, you know, I can put pdfs in it for convenient reading on the go.  PDFs like patterns.  Yes, I will no longer have to go down into the man-cave that is our unfinished basement to use the printer when I want a pattern for on the go.  No more frozen toes!  No more emailing files to myself to pull them up on the downstairs computer!  The only problem is that you can't (as far as I can figure) download files directly onto the Nook, except that you do it through your computer.  So, I plug the Nook into my USB port, and download the file directly to the Nook.  Requires forethought, but means I don't have to try to browse the internet on the Nook.  Fair trade.

(Also, remember to enter my contest!  I'm excited, these are fun.)

No comments:

Post a Comment