I have done quite a lot of frogging today. Thank heaven it was frogging crochet, because it's so much easier to do a partial frog in crochet than in knit, and if I had had to do the part before my mistake, I would have been really skeeved off. But anyway. Frogging, unfortunately, is an essential part of my design process. I'm sure not everybody does this. But for me, usually... I make a sketch. I make a swatch or two. Do some math. Then I get started with the yarn.
This part rarely goes as well as the swatches and math suggest it will. Stitch a little. Doesn't look the way I think it ought to. Rip rip rip. Now things don't quite come together the way they're supposed to. Rip rip rip. Successful for a bit. Then I measure things. Things always go south when I measure things the first time. Rip rip. Then with any luck I'm past the gusset/yoke/insane part because I seem to always insist on one piece design.
But you know, ripping isn't always a bad thing. Every iteration is better. And yarn, if nothing else, is very forgiving.