|The beginning of my shawl. Pretty!|
- 約143ｃ: any time you see this character, followed by a number, followed by a "c," it means "about (number) centimeters."
- 110段 : this symbol, preceded by a number, is the number of rows.
- 1模様 : these two symbols together, preceded by a number, is the number of pattern repeats.
- 12目 : this symbol, with a number in front of it, is the number of stitches.
- 12目1模様 : this one is "(number) of stitches equals one repeat." In this example, 12 stitches is one repeat.
- 8段1模様 : this is a lot like the last one, but notice the second character is the "row" character - so, in this example, "8 rows equals one repeat."
- 49目作る : this is where it tells you how many starting chains to make. In this example, 49. Note that this number does NOT include the turning chain.